Choconana. Chocolate and banana. This is quite possibly my favourite flavour combination.
I have made these oats every morning for the past few days. They are THAT AWESOME. You know the recipe is a keeper when your toddler requests it again! So much better than our regular toast for breakfast…(been reading about acrylamides…ew. Would you like some carcinogens with that?). Yes, oats are far superior!
But what’s even more awesome is the amount of nutrients in this delicious breakfast. One serve of this will give you a boost of omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, and much more. So tasty and chocolatey, but sooo good for you too! And of course, these are vegan, gluten-free (if using gluten free oats), and refined sugar free. (Blackstrap molasses is the nutrient-rich “waste” product from refined sugar).
Choconana Overnight Oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats or rolled oats (personal preference)
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 2 tbs blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbs ground flaxseeds
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Optional toppings: extra banana and cacao nibs to serve
- Combine all ingredients (except toppings) in a jar and mix with a fork, mashing the banana as you go.
- Screw the lid on, refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and top with slices of banana and cacao nibs.
- Serve chilled.
Use certified gluten-free oats to make this breakfast gluten-free.