So you can see why it’s perfect timing to post this recipe now – there’s a hidden serve of beetroot in there 😉 well, ok. It’s not exactly hidden…the pink colour is a dead giveaway, I know. But it’s a vegetable! In your breakfast! Hiding underneath some chocolate sauce! By the way, that chocolate sauce – I highly, highly recommend it. It really adds a new dimension to the beetroot cake porridge. Sure, the porridge tastes nice (to me) without the sauce, but that sauce makes it so decadent and chocolatey <3
Vegetables hiding in your vegan breakfast
Beetroot Cake Porridge
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grated beetroot
- (Optional: sweetener to taste, like maple syrup, stevia, blackstrap molasses)
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Heat over a low-medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the porridge has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and top with desired toppings (chocolate sauce, fresh fruit, nuts, seeds…).