As you probably know, I planned to eat a lot of Mexican meals this week. So with a big bowl full of cooked black beans in my fridge, I decided to make some Mexican themed burgers one day for lunch. Well, they turned out so good that I made them again for lunch the next day. And then for dinner as well! Because not only were they so delicious, they were incredibly easy to make! Win-win, right?
Spicy Mexican Burgers
- 1 cup black beans (cooked/canned & drained)
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats (use certified gluten free if needed)
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and purée until smooth.
- Spoon approx 1-2 tbs of mixture into frying pan and shape into a pattie with the back of a spoon.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture to make about 8 patties.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, flip and fry on the other side for a further 2 minutes.
- Serve in a tortilla with avocado, capsicum, parsley (or cilantro, if you love it), and a vegan nacho cheese sauce.