I am so excited to share this vegan spinach and avocado dip recipe! I actually had it for breakfast one day this week (shhh!). I used avocado to replace the loads of heavy dairy products found in traditional recipes and the result is still creamy and satisfying. There’s also a TON of spinach packed in there; it uses a full bunch sautéed with shallots and garlic so I’m going to say nutritious and delicious on this one. The dip is dairy-free, gluten free, nut-free and can easily be made soy-free (see note in recipe).
This vegan spinach dip recipe is actually I think the first ever spinach dip recipe I’ve made myself (despite having eat a ton over the years!). When I was in university, my roommates and I were spoiled by our best friend making us the her amazing homemade spinach dip. We would actually come late at at night after going out and while we would be lazing around on the sofa she would be chopping spinach at 2am to make a snack for us. So I think she definitely gets credit for my love of spinach dip and inspiration to try this recipe. I find since I’ve started to eat a plant-based diet I’m so much more motivated and confident to try new things in the kitchen. It’s a brand new world for me!
Rich and Creamy Spinach Avocado Dip
- 1.5 tbsp canola oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups spinach
- 1 1/2 medium avocados
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp grapeseed vegan mayo (Veganaise)
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Herbamare (or salt) & pepper to taste
- Heat canola oil, shallots and garlic over medium heat until shallots are translucent.
- Add spinach along with pinch of salt and pepper and saute until wilted.
- Remove from heat, let cool and chop spinach mixture.
- In a food processor blend avocado, lemon, grapeseed mayo, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Combine both mixtures in a bowl and stir. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Ps – those homemade pita chips in the pictures are courtesy of Mr. Pea (which are amazing and I’m hoping will be a recipe coming soon!)