Attempting to create a vegan parmesan cheese is a hard task for sure. Parmesan has a complex and strong flavor that fills your mouth; its salty, sweet, acidic, and umami, since it contains a lot of natural MSG. However, with this recipe, we are covering all of our bases to bring you a delicious vegan parm that hits all of the notes: nutty, cheesy, and umami. Use it as a topping for your favorite foods or as a seasoning for recipes like our Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich with Arugula.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 ½ tbsp 2 ½ nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir.
- If you like the acidity, add the lemon juice and stir again.
- Sprinkle over the dishes of your choice, or try our recipe for Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich with Arugula.