I’m currently hooked on anything lemon-poppyseed flavoured. You may have noticed, I’m not always very creative when it comes to flavourings…usually I just stick with chocolate. So I guess that’s why I’m so excited to branch out and make other flavoured sweets (dare I say I’m sick of chocolate? :O shock horror!) like these lemon poppyseed vegan donuts.
It actually took me a few batches of these vegan donuts to get these just right. At first I had this brilliant idea to sneak a veggie in them! Those donuts turned out delicious, but way too moist, and they stuck to the pan…disaster 🙁
So began round 2 – without a hidden vegetable – but those donuts turned out too dry. Delicious, but dry.
This batch of donuts resulted from my 3rd attempt of lemon poppyseed donuts. I was disappointed that my hidden veg donut idea didn’t work this time round (but I’m keeping those details a secret because I’m sure I can make it work in another recipe later) – but these donuts turned out not too moist and not too dry <3
Oh and I felt the need to give this little disclaimer – these donuts don’t really have the same texture as “normal” donuts – they aren’t as soft, and they are a bit dense and crumbly (more like a cookie, I guess!). For this reason, I highly HIGHLY recommend you top them with some sort of icing/frosting. I’ve included directions for the icing I made (below) but you may also be interested in this cashew icing (leave out the cinnamon and replace some of the water with lemon juice).
Lemon Poppyseed Donuts
- 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tbs stevia
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 2 tbs cashew butter or tahini
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbs poppyseeds
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and lightly grease a donut pan.
- In a high speed blender blend the oats, stevia and bicarb soda until fine.
- Add the cashew butter, lemon juice and water and blend on low speed until fully incorporated.
- Add the poppyseeds and blend for a few seconds, until they are just mixed through the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the donut pan evenly and smooth the tops of the donuts with your fingers.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the tray immediately and let cool before icing.