Homemade gnocchi can be time consuming the first time you make it, and you may end up with potato and flour everywhere. But this is a truly satisfying meal, complete comfort food…worth all the effort! Here are some of my tips for homemade gnocchi:
Homemade gnocchi the easy way
- You can use leftover mashed potatoes, but you may need less flour.
- Following this recipe, you will need about 1/2 cup of flour per potato. But don’t be afraid to add more flour – there’s nothing worse than wet gnocchi dough stuck to your hands!
- Cooking the gnocchi is the easy part, but don’t overcrowd the saucepan! Just add enough gnocchi to cover the bottom of your pan.
- The gnocchi cooks quite fast – only a few minutes. When it floats to the top, you know it’s ready!
- Keep the cooked gnocchi in a covered dish to keep it warm while you finish cooking the remainder of the gnocchi.
Gnocchi with Lemon Garlic Chilli Sauce
- 6 potatoes
- 3 cups plain flour (may need extra)
- 1 tsp + 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 large red chilli
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped kale leaves
Make the gnocchi:
- Peel, chop and boil the potatoes until soft (15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain well and puree until smooth.
- Mix in the flour and 1 tsp salt until a smooth dough forms – you might need to vary the amount of flour depending on how moist your potatoes are.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1cm thick.
- Slice into pieces about 2cm by 2cm.
- Half fill a large pan with water, add 1 tbs salt, bring to the boil.
- Add enough gnocchi to cover the bottom of the pan.
- When the gnocchi rises and floats (after about 2 minutes of cooking), it is ready. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and put into serving dishes.
- Repeat until all gnocchi is cooked.
Meanwhile, make the sauce:
- Peel and finely dice the garlic.
- Deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- Heat the oil over a low-medium heat in a frying pan.
- Add the garlic and chilli, cook for about 1 minute or until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add the zest, juice and kale, stir for another minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine the gnocchi with the sauce and serve immediately.