The lemon gives the broccoli a really nice tang. I believe that is the secret to getting my kids to eat broccoli – disguising that cruciferous flavour! It kind of makes this recipe an adult version of mac and cheese. And the main thing I love about this recipe is that it is quick to make! As much as I love cooking and being in the kitchen, some days you just want to get in and get out, you know?
Creamy Pasta & Lemony Broccoli
- 250 g pasta
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbs spelt flour
- 1 cup oat milk
- Pinch of salt
- Start cooking your pasta according the package directions.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and broccoli.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to turn golden.
- Juice the lemon and stir in the juice for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the spelt flour until the vegetables are coated.
- Pour in the milk and stir, continue to cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked & drained pasta.
- Serve immediately.