I’m struggling a bit with what to write in this post; so I’m just going to focus on the soup!! This vegan cilantro soup recipe combines onions, portabello mushrooms caps and garlic with tons of cilantro and a hint of lime juice and spice. It turns out a beautiful green with all the cilantro, which I love. If you’re like me, you buy a bunch of cilantro just to use a small amount as a garnish or to add to tacos or burritos. So many times, I’ve been left with the rest of the cilantro and had no idea what to do with it… sadly it has gone bad and been thrown out more times than I’m proud of. So enter, cilantro soup! This recipe uses a full large bunch of cilantro, but you can easily half the recipe if you just want to use up what you have left over.
I’m so happy this recipe turned out! Especially because I had a soup disaster earlier this week when I tried to re-create an amazing sweet potato coconut citrus soup from Fresh. I loved the combination of citrus with sweet potato in the soup I ordered at the restaurant , but my version turned out WAY too sweet, it tasted like death by sugar and could not be fixed. It’s still in my fridge because I haven’t had the heart to pour it down the drain yet. Anyway, I’m not giving up on that soup, I will re-try it. I was just happy to have one successful soup recipe this week!
I also kind of thought cilantro was just something that tasted good, but turns out it’s super good for you and is packed with Vitamin K and Vitamin A.
Cilantro Portabello Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 portabello mushroom caps
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 pinches of chili powder
- salt and pepper
- Combine oil, onion and garlic in a large saucepan and heat over medium until onions are translucent. Add sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Add finely chopped portabello mushroom (make sure to scrape out the black underside of the mushroom). Continue to heat over medium until mushrooms are softened (approx 7-10min).
- Add vegetable broth, bring to a low boil and then simmer for approx. 10min.
- Add soup mixture to blender (we use the Blendtec) with cilantro and blend until smooth.
- Stir in cayenne pepper and chilli powder to taste.