Black pepper ….in cookies?? It’s happening.
We’ve kicked these vegan double chocolate chip cookies up a notch with espresso, black pepper and a touch of cinnamon. Adding black pepper brings a hint of spice and a flavour profile that’s both subtle and complex. I was inspired to give this a try after stumbling upon Martha Stewart’s very un-vegan recipe for Chocolate Black Pepper cookies. I love unusual flavour pairings (especially when it comes to dessert) so I knew I had to come up with a vegan version. The result is a really unique take on the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe and I have to say this is my new favourite cookie recipe!
The cookies were just as fresh the next day, even though they probably won’t last too long if you are anything like us. I went to reach for another cookie and found Mr. Pea had devoured almost the whole batch! I promise you your inner cookie monster will be awoken.
Espresso Black Pepper Double Chocolate Cookies
- 7 tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg: (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flax egg and water in a small bowl to form the ‘flax egg’. Set aside to thicken for approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer beat vegan butter until fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and beat 1-2 minutes until creamy, then beat in the flax egg.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into balls and place on the baking sheet. Bake for approx. 12 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling rack and cool for at least 10 minutes.
Hope you are having a great week, enjoy 🙂