Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
For the Pancakes:
3/4 C (118g) all-purpose flour
1/4 C (37g) spelt flour
2 Tbsp (28g) sugar
1 Tbsp (9g) cardamom
1 Tbsp (12g) baking powder
1/2 tsp (6g) salt
1 C (250ml) oat milk
1 Tbsp (14g) apple cider vinegar
1 tsp (6g) vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
2 Tbs (29g) vegan butter (I used Miyoko’s vegan cultured butter)
For the Syrup:
1 cup (322g) pure maple syrup
3 Tbs (43g) fresh grapefruit juice
1 tsp (2g) grapefruit zest
½ cup (10g) basil leaves
1. In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, cardamom, baking powder and salt.
2. In a liquid measuring cup, combine oat milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla.
3. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture, while whisking, bit by bit to avoid clumping. Whisk until smooth. Add melted vegan butter. Whisk again.
4. Let batter rest for 30 minutes.
5. Pour about 1/3 cup (64 grams) of batter onto a nonstick pan or griddle over medium heat.
6. When the top begins to bubble and the edges have set, flip the pancake and cook until golden on the reverse side.
7. Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over low heat. Add the maple syrup, grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest and basil leaves to the saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Remove the syrup from heat and strain into a heat-proof container to serve alongside the pancakes.
9. Drizzle the grapefruit basil syrup over your pancakes and enjoy!