A brown lentil pizza crust, made from a can of lentils! Vegan, gluten free, oil free.
Once again, I was inspired by this lentil pizza crust which I made a while ago. I’ve been meaning to make a spin on that popular pizza crust, using brown lentils instead of red lentils. This recipe is quite different though – it uses cooked brown lentils instead of dried red lentils, and it creates a thicker crust, which is baked (not fried, like the above mentioned crust). So if you were weirded out by making dried red lentils into a flour, this pizza might suit your tastes better 🙂
Brown lentil pizza crust
I topped my brown lentil pizza crust with BBQ sauce, spinach, tomatoes, pickled onions, roast pumpkin, avocado, and radish flowers – you can top your pizza with whatever you choose though 🙂 here are some other pizza toppings I love:
- sundried tomatoes
- roast potatoes
- cashew cheese
- fresh herbs (basil and parsley are always great on pizza!)
What are your favourite pizza toppings – have I missed anything obvious? (And yes, fruit on pizza is so nice! Little hints of sweetness combined with the savoury toppings…it’s really tasty 😀 check out this mango pizza I made a while ago…).
Brown Lentil Pizza Crust
- 1 cup cooked/canned brown lentils, drained
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda/baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the lentils, flaxseeds, salt, garlic and bicarb until puréed.
- While blending, pour in the vinegar and blend until just combined.
- Use a non-stick spatula to spread the mixture onto the baking paper into the shape of a pizza base.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and if the top has puffed up, carefully press it down using a spatula or other utensil.
- Top with your desired sauce and toppings – optionally bake for a further few minutes to cook toppings, or serve straight away.