These doughnuts tick so many boxes for me:
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
- Oil free (except for a bit to grease the donut tray)
- And they contain a vegetable! Yay!
The icing is full of beetroot too, and I am in love with the hot pink colour it turned out! Unfortunately the donuts didn’t turn out pink too – the batter was pink, but after it baked the colour disappeared 🙁
Beet & Apple Doughnuts
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free if needed)
- 3 tbs coconut butter
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 beetroot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbs stevia
- 1 tsp bicarb/baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor. (At first it might seem too dry but the moisture from the apple & beetroot is the perfect amount once it's all blended thoroughly. But if you need to, add 1-2tbs water.)
- Grease your donut pan with a bit of coconut oil (optional).
- Scoop the mixture into the donut pan, using your fingers to press it in evenly.
- Bake for around 25 minutes.
- Remove donuts from the pan while still warm, and let cool before icing.