Basil is best known as a culinary herb with it’s unique kind-of-sweet flavour. Apart from being really delicious, basil is also a rich source of vitamin K and contains small amounts of other vitamins and minerals.
Basil can also be used as a herbal medicine for a range of conditions:
- expel intestinal worms
- relieve stomach cramps & intestinal gas
- stimulate the appetite
- to treat insect bites and snake bites
- stimulate the production of breastmilk
- for head colds
As with any herbal medicine advice on Vie De La Vegan – this is GENERAL ADVICE only, to be used at your own risk. Please discuss with your doctor or herbalist/naturopath before taking medicinal herbs.
Basil & Pear Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup water or plant milk
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 large ripe pear, cored
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- Ice, as desired
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Optionally garnish with more chia seeds, edible flowers, fresh basil and coconut yoghurt.