These pizzas are a spooky twist on a kid’s favourite meal. While they may seem like a bit of extra effort, these pizzas are truly simplistic with only two toppings – a cashew cheese “web” and olive “spiders”.
To make the web, I used a gooey cashew cheese and piped it onto the pizza using a snap lock bag with the corner cut off. (Does that make sense? I didn’t think to take photos of the steps but if you have no idea how I did it, let me know and I’ll pop some photos up for you – let me know in the comments!).
The spiders were a bit fiddly but each pizza only needs about 3 spiders, so these pizzas really only took the same amount of time as a normal pizza would. To make the spiders, I use one whole olive for the body (carefully remove the seed) and then sliced another olive to make the legs.
Oh, and did I mention these pizzas are gluten free? Yup. And of course, vegan and refined sugar free 🙂
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tbs tomato paste/sauce
- 1 cup cashew cheese (see below for recipe)
- 18 kalamata olives
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Combine the flour, bicarb and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley and add that to the flour mix along with the water, and combine until a dough forms (you might need to adjust the amount of flour/water to get a smooth dough).
- Break the dough into 4 even pieces and roll onto a greased baking tray – each pizza should be able 15cm in diameter.
- Top each pizza with 1 tbs tomato paste and spread out with the back of a spoon.
- Scoop the cashew cheese into a piping bag (or use a small snap lock bag and snip a corner off to squeeze the cheese out of).
- Draw a spider web design with the cheese (I found it easiest to draw the "spokes" and then draw a spiral).
- On each pizza place 3 pitted olives.
- Slice the remaining olives into strips to use as the spider legs, and place these against the edges of the whole olives on the pizza. Take care where you place the spiders as when the cheese melts, the olives may slide around – try to place the olives away from big globs of cheese!
- Bake the pizzas for 20 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.