We made One Pot Mexican Quinoa for dinner last night and fell in love!! This is one of the best recipes we have tried in a long time so I felt I had to share it here. Our dinner conversation sounded something like “Omg this is so good”… “This is literally so good” “I love this” (very intellectually stimulating….ha). Needless to say I high recommend it!
This vegan recipe is protein-packed with quinoa and black beans and super easy to make. This is something I can totally see myself making a large batch of on Sundays to take for lunches during the week.
One Pan Mexican Quinoa + Cashew Sour Cream
For the Quinoa:
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Stalk Celery diced
- 1 Small Carrot diced
- 2 Spring Onions chopped
- 4 Jalapeños seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup Uncooked Quinoa rinsed well and drained
- 1 1/4 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Avocado peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
For Homemade Cashew Sour Cream:
- 1 cup Raw Cashews soaked overnight in water and then drained
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Water depending on how thick you want it to be
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, carrot, spring onion and jalapeños and sauté for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the quinoa, broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, cumin, cayenne, sugar and add approx. 2 tsp curry powder, 2 tsp chilli powder,1 1/2 tsp cumin and a little more cayenne, mix in chopped green onions before serving.. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and let cook for 20-25 minutes, until the liquid is fully absorbed. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro, avocado, spinach and lime juice. Season to taste. Top with cashew sour cream and oven-crisped tortilla strips.
For Cashew Sour Cream:
- Combine ingredients in a blender and blend till very smooth. Keep in air tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Hope you are having a great weekend 🙂