We are getting into the Halloween spirit here at the Vie De La Vegan household. Halloween isn’t a widely celebrated event here in Australia, but being as interested in the supernatural world
These mummied bananas were an easy and healthy dessert we made together. Just 3 ingredients (and 2 of the ingredients are fruit). And it’s something the kids can make too! The puff pastry can be a bit fiddly for little hands, but older kids (school age) will enjoy wrapping their own mummies.
A word of warning though – make sure you put the sultanas on AFTER baking. The first time we made these, I put the sultanas on before baking…huge mistake. Not only did the sultanas end up tasting like charcoal, they also expanded and jumped off the mummies! I think there’s still a burnt sultana in my oven somewhere…
- 1 sheet frozen vegan puff pastry
- 3 bananas
- 6 sultanas
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer to defrost.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Cut the puff pastry into 1cm wide strips.
- Peel the bananas.
- Wrap with the puff pastry strips (don't be too pedantic about this!), leaving a spot for the eyes.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and use the sultanas as the eyes – press them gently into the cooked banana.
- Serve immediately (serving suggestion: with dairy free custard or coconut icecream).