Banana and kale usually find their way together in our morning green smoothies but today they are colliding in the salad bowl. I used banana to make a bright green ginger cilantro dressing that is oil-free (which is a nice change from our usual go-to dressings that rely on olive oil). The slight sweetness from the banana offsets the bitterness of kale and purple cabbage in this superfood salad.
Yes I know, superfood is a totally overused term but I had no choice…look at all the goodness packed into this one bowl (I for one felt pretty good about myself after devouring it):
– Cabbage & Kale – cruciferous vegetables that are rich in phytonutrients, are anti-inflammatory and have anti-cancer properties.
– Carrots – High in Vitamin A and dietary fiber
– Hemp Seeds – plant-based source of omega 3 and 6 and protein with 10g of protein in just 3 tbsp;
– Banana – High in potassium, vitamin B6, manganese and vitamin C and packed with antioxidants;
– Ginger– Anti-inflammatory and immune boosting spice that improves the absorption and stimulation of essential nutrients.
Kale Salad with Banana Ginger Dressing
for the salad
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup finely chopped purple cabbage (approx. 1/4 head)
- 1/2 cup grated carrot (approx. 2 small carrots)
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
for the dressing
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Finely chop kale and cabbage and grate carrots. Combine with hemp seeds in large bowl.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small blender (we use Magic Bullet) and blend until smooth.
- Combine salad and dressing, mix well and serve.