Grilled banana halves. Homemade creamy coconut icecream. Sugar-free chocolate drizzle. A sprinkle of chopped walnuts.
(Full disclaimer: we actually ate this for lunch. Such is the life for my little recipe testers 😀 ) By the way, apologies for the melty icecream photos…it probably was not the best idea to make this for photography purposes when the temperature was 35C!
I made my own eeeeeeasy coconut icecream, but you could easily use store-bought vegan icecream instead. At first I was thinking about using banana nicecream but then I thought it would be banana overload 😛
The grilled bananas added a really tasty touch to the whole dessert. And the smell of the bananas while grilling was simply divine – floral, almost. You want to grill the bananas for just a few minutes on each side, just enough to get a bit of caramelisation happening.
Grilled Banana Split
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp stevia
- 1 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tbs stevia
- 1 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Stir together the coconut icecream ingredients, pour into a freezer safe container.
- Freeze for about 4 hours, or until solid, removing from the freezer to stir and break up the ice crystals every hour. If you freeze the icecream for too long, let it defrost at room temperature for about 30 minutes to become scoopable again.
- Melt the coconut oil, if not already liquid.
- Mix together with cacao and stevia.
- Set aside (keep warm to prevent coconut oil solidifying.
- Peel the bananas and slice in half lengthways.
- Preheat your stovetop grill plate (or a frying pan) over medium heat. Note: you might need to use a bit of coconut oil if not using a non-stick pan.
- Grill the halved bananas for 2-3 minutes, flip and grill for a further minute on the other side. The bananas should become golden brown.
- Place 2 banana halves on each serving plate, top with the icecream, chocolate drizzle and chopped walnuts.
- Serve immediately.