French onion soup with VEGAN cheese toasts. Yes, it’s vegan!
Usually I’ll serve French onion soup with some sort of bread, usually homemade garlic bread. I made these awesome vegan cheese toasts to go with our French onion soup. Oh. My. God. That cheese!
I adapted the recipe I found at It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken. I don’t know why I have made it sooner. It is the gooey-est cheese I have ever made! Like, you know sometimes vegan cheeses just don’t have that same meltable, gooey, stringiness that real cheese does? This vegan cheese comes sooo close!
French onion soup with cheese toasts
- 4 brown onions
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbs blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 tbs tapioca flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 8 slices of crusty baguette
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Heat the oil over a low heat in a saucepan, add the onions.
- Fry gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until caramelised.
- Add the remaining ingredients, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and serve with cheese toasts.
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender except for the baguette.
- When smooth, transfer to a small saucepan.
- Heat over a medium heat, constantly stirring, until it begins to thicken. This will take only a few minutes.
- When the cheese is thick like melted cheese, remove from the heat.
- Preheat the grill.
- Spread the cheese over the baguette slices and place on a baking tray.
- Grill for a few minutes, until the cheese starts to brown.
- Serve with the soup immediately.