This 100% vegan sandwich is simply delightful. It is soft, crunchy, moist; everything you hope for in a sandwich. It features a fried eggplant with vegan parmesan and panko breading, a spreading of garlic mayo and green olive tapenade, a bottom of baked confit cherry tomatoes, and fresh arugula. If you want to make your own vegan parmesan for the sandwich, check out our recipe here.
Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich with Arugula
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 slice large eggplant (about 1" thick and 7" long) without the skin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ tbsp 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme leafs
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breading
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 3 tbsp vegan Greek yogurt
- Sunflower or canola oil for frying
- 1 1/2 tbsp green olive tapenade
- Fresh arugula
- 1 7" hoagie roll, split in half lengthwise, toasted (or the bread of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 °C.
- Combine the vegan mayo with the garlic powder on a small plate and set aside.
- Season eggplant slice with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and seal the eggplant on both sides. Once golden, lower the temperature and cook for one minute for each side over low heat. Transfer to a plate to rest. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ tablespoon honey, ¼ teaspoon thyme leafs, and a pinch of salt. On an oven tray covered with parchment, place the cherry tomatoes and coat them with the honey and thyme dressing. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 F/180 °C and reserve.
- Prepare your breading mix. Combine the panko breading and the vegan parmesan cheese and place on a large plate. Mix the vegan Greek yogurt, ½ tablespoon of olive oil, and a big pinch of salt in a small bowl. Mix the AP flour with a big pinch of salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Soak up the excess moisture of the eggplant with kitchen paper. Cover with flour, shake off excess. Coat with vegan Greek yogurt on all sides. Finally, cover with the panko and parmesan breading. Press the slice against the breading well, making sure it’s coated all the way around. Deep fry on a cast iron skillet with sunflower or canola oil at 350 F/180 °C, the oil should cover at least 3" high of the skillet. Each side should take about 1 minute and a half. Once golden, transfer to a wire rack.
- Cut the bread roll open. Spread reserved garlic vegan mayo on both slices. Spread tapenade on the top slice. Place the baked cherry tomatoes on the bottom slice. Top with the fried eggplant and arugula leafs, then close up the sandwich.