Tostadas are tortillas that have been toasted or fried until crispy before they’re piled with toppings. These tostadas are topped with crispy spiced chickpeas, crunchy slaw, and a whipped avocado crema that puts a delicious vegan spin on taco night! This is the perfect light dinner for two but can be easily doubled to feed four.
Chipotle Chickpea Tostadas
For the Chickpeas:
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp each of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
For the Avocado Crema:
- 2 avocados ripe
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapenos
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno brine
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For the Cabbage Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 6 corn tortillas
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chickpeas spices, salt and sugar, and mix until chickpeas are well coated in the spices. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add in the chickpeas, and cook, stirring occasionally until they are golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- While chickpeas are cooking, make the avocado crema and slaw. For the crema, add all ingredients to a small blender* and blend until smooth. For the slaw, combine the shredded cabbage, lime juice, chopped cilantro and salt in a bowl, and toss lightly.
- Set the oven to broil. Arrange the six tortillas on a large baking sheet and brush the top of each with a little vegetable oil. Place the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven, and broil until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread the avocado crema onto the tortillas, and layer the cabbage slaw and warm chickpeas on top.