The idea for this cheesy vegan quiche struck me, and the first attempt turned out soooo good. I’ve tried numerous variations, but I love the simplicity of using leek as the sole vegetable in this quiche. It’s also quite child-friendly.
I also love using other vegetables in this quiche too. Capsicum, leek and broccoli made a delicious, veggie-full quiche 😀 experiment with your favourite vegetables!
Cheesy Leek Vegan Quiche
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs + 2 cups water
- 1 small-medium leek
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tbs arrowroot powder
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Stir through the tahini, then use your finger tips to crumble it through evenly.
- Stir in the water, then use your hands to knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth.
- Add more water or flour if needed.
- Roll the pastry onto a sheet of baking paper to a thickness of about 3-5mm.
- Line a baking tray with the pastry, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Finely chop the leek.
- Add the leek and 1 tbs water to a frying pan.
- Over a low-medium heat, fry the leek until starting brown.
- Meanwhile, blend the remaining ingredients: 2 cups water, cashews, lemon juice, salt, garlic and arrowroot powder.
- Add the blended mixture to the frying pan with the leek.
- Continue to cook while stirring until the cheesy mixture thickens (should take about 1 minute – it will get quite thick).
- Pour the cheesy leek mixture into the pastry.
- You can fold over the remaining pastry, like a galette, or trim if desired.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm, or chilled and serve cold the next day.
Feel free to use other vegetables instead of the leek, or add more vegetables as well as the leek.
Arrowroot powder is also known as tapioca flour. You can substitute with cornflour, or another thickener.