A brown lentil pizza crust, made from a can of lentils! Vegan, gluten free, oil free.
Once again, I was inspired by this lentil pizza crust which I made a while ago. I’ve been meaning to make a spin on that popular pizza crust, using brown lentils instead of red lentils. This recipe is quite different though – it uses cooked brown lentils instead of dried red lentils, and it creates a thicker crust, which is baked (not fried, like the above mentioned crust). So if you were weirded out by making dried red lentils into a flour, this pizza might suit your tastes better :)
Brown lentil pizza crust
I topped my brown lentil pizza crust with BBQ sauce, spinach, tomatoes, pickled onions, roast pumpkin, avocado, and radish flowers – you can top your pizza with whatever you choose though :) here are some other pizza toppings I love:
- sundried tomatoes
- roast potatoes
- cashew cheese
- fresh herbs (basil and parsley are always great on pizza!)
What are your favourite pizza toppings – have I missed anything obvious? (And yes, fruit on pizza is so nice! Little hints of sweetness combined with the savoury toppings…it’s really tasty :D check out this mango pizza I made a while ago…).
- 1 cup cooked/canned brown lentils, drained
- ¼ cup flaxseeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- ½ tsp bicarb soda/baking soda
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the lentils, flaxseeds, salt, garlic and bicarb until puréed.
- While blending, pour in the vinegar and blend until just combined.
- Use a non-stick spatula to spread the mixture onto the baking paper into the shape of a pizza base.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and if the top has puffed up, carefully press it down using a spatula or other utensil.
- Top with your desired sauce and toppings - optionally bake for a further few minutes to cook toppings, or serve straight away.
Sharing this pizza with Kimmy and Mary for #HealthyVeganFridays
More vegan & gluten free pizza crusts…
I love reading your comments!
- What are your favourite pizza toppings?
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve made a pizza base with? (There’s so many recipes for cauliflower crusts, zucchini crusts, etc…have you tried anything like that?)
P.S. Don’t forget to enter the VEGAN PIZZA PARTY that Bianca from Elephantastic Vegan and myself are running on Instagram! We are accepting entries until 10th June, and we would love to feature your pizzas on our accounts. To enter, simply:
- Post a photo on Instagram of a vegan pizza you’ve made.
- Tag me @viedelavegan and Bianca @elephantasticvegan in the photo.
- Use the hashtag #veganpizzaparty
- Follow both me & Bianca on Instagram.
And you’re in! Check out some of the entries below…
- Instagram feed not found.