I recently (finally!) got myself a doughnut pan. Oh my gosh – who could have imagined how much your life can change when you finally have a DOUGHNUT PAN! I haven’t had doughnuts for many, many years…since going vegan, actually. So I have been thoroughly enjoying the doughnut madness that has swept through my household :) these beet & apple healthy doughnuts were just one of the results.
These doughnuts tick so many boxes for me:
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
- Oil free (except for a bit to grease the donut tray)
- And they contain a vegetable! Yay!
The icing is full of beetroot too, and I am in love with the hot pink colour it turned out! Unfortunately the donuts didn’t turn out pink too – the batter was pink, but after it baked the colour disappeared :(
In other news…we bought a block of land! I’m so so excited – you might know that I’m studying herbal medicine and that I love foraging – well, this block is like a herbalist’s dream come true! So many wild herbs everywhere…nettle, mullein, blackberries, sorrel, dandelions, just to name a few. You might have seen some snaps on Snapchat over the weekend (you can find me on Snapchat: my username is viedelavegan). I can’t wait until we start living there!
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor. (At first it might seem too dry but the moisture from the apple & beetroot is the perfect amount once it's all blended thoroughly. But if you need to, add 1-2tbs water.)
- Grease your donut pan with a bit of coconut oil (optional).
- Scoop the mixture into the donut pan, using your fingers to press it in evenly.
- Bake for around 25 minutes.
- Remove donuts from the pan while still warm, and let cool before icing.
More beetroot recipes from the blog…
I love reading your comments!
- Do you have a donut pan?
- Do you like beetroot? (These doughnuts don’t taste too beetrooty ;) )
- Do you love foraging for wild herbs/edibles?