I hope you all had a lovely Valentine’s Day! Hopefully you aren’t sick of chocolate because I had a delicious (and healthy) raw brownie recipe to share with you today. Last week I posted about the uses of aloe vera as a herbal medicine. Well, if you’d like to take your medicine in the form of brownies, look no further than these raw aloe vera brownies!
But before we get into these brownies, I’d just like to share this awesome ebook by Marfig’s Munchies – The Chocolate Cleanse Riot. Alllll things chocolate, but healthified and vegan. Plus, the ebook is completely free! Go check it out guys <3
Raw brownies with aloe vera
So back to these raw aloe vera brownies. I wanted to create a raw recipe with aloe vera (as with most foods, I assume cooking would destroy some of the valuable healing properties) but I didn’t just want to publish a smoothie recipe. Aloe vera is great in smoothies by the way! But no, I wanted to make something that you wouldn’t even suspect contained aloe vera…I think these brownies did a great job of that ;)
Of course, if you’re not interested in taking aloe vera (it’s not recommended for those who have gastrointestinal problems or during pregnancy – please see my previous post about aloe vera for more information, and consult your doctor before ingesting aloe vera) you can omit the aloe vera and add a bit of water for moisture.
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup sultanas
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 2 tbs aloe vera gel (see note)
- In a high speed blender, blend the sunflower seeds until fine.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until it clumps together in a dough.
- Remove from blender and press into a loaf tray or small rectangle tray.
- Slice into squares of desired size.
- Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the fridge for a few days.
Sharing this recipe at #freefromfridays.
I love reading your comments! Be sure to let me know if you try these raw brownies :)
- Did you over-indulge in chocolate on Valentine’s Day?
- Do you like to hide vegetables or other healthy ingredients (like aloe vera) in dessert? Tell me the weirdest thing you’ve snuck into dessert!
P.S. Oh and by the way, I decided to make a Facebook page for Vie De La Vegan. Please come like my page (I seriously have 2 “likes” at the moment – myself and my sister, hahaha).