It was Amir’s 7th birthday on Sunday – HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMIR! As per our family tradition, we also have birthday cake for birthdays. I mean, does anyone NOT have that tradition? This year, Amir requested I make a black forest cake for his birthday. This might seem an odd choice for a 7 year old, but I think he was highly influenced by his father who requested a black forest cake 2 years ago.
Vegan black forest cake
This black forest cake is not like any I’ve made before though. It is entirely sweetened by fruit, no refined sugar in sight! Delicious moist layers of choc-cherry cake, with a thickened coconut cream and cherry chia jam sandwiched in the middle. Top that off with more coconut cream and cherries, and you’ve got yourself a delicious, healthy, vegan black forest cake!
I had actually imagined this cake having about 7 layers. I suggested to my son that I make his cake like a pancake-cake. He was not impressed :\ but anyway, that idea is still in the pipeline…it might make a feature later in the year for someone else’s birthday! But for now, you might be interested in these black forest pancakes.
So I’ve made a video for you guys showing you how I made it :D this is the first recipe video I’ve made – let me know what you think…
If you liked this video, please give it a *thumbs up*, leave a comment, and maybe even subscribe to my channel ;) also, I’d really love your feedback – what did you like/dislike? Would you like to see more videos like this? Please give me some constructive criticism so I can make even better videos! Thank you guys :)
Also – a special mention to my husband for providing his own music for the video! I told him I wanted something “Black Forest-y” and he came up with that dark little song <3
- 3 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1½ tsp bicarb soda
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup cherries (fresh, canned, or defrosted from frozen)
- ¾ cup water
- (optional) 2 tsp cherry-vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 400ml coconut cream
- 2 tbs arrowroot powder
- 1½ tsp stevia powder
- 1 cup cherries (fresh, canned or defrosted from frozen)
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- Optional: extra cherries for garnish, icing sugar/stevia
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix together flour, cacao and bicarb.
- Blend the bananas, cherries, water and extract (if using) until smooth.
- Mix the wet mixture with the dry mixture.
- Fold in the apple cider vinegar.
- Transfer to a 20cm round cake tin, lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool.
- Stir together all the cream ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Bring to the boil while stirring. The cream will thicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to assemble cake (note: it will thicken more as it cools).
- Blend the cherries and chia seeds until broken down slightly - I do this on a low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Let the jam sit for 10 minutes or longer, to thicken.
- When the cake is cool, slice in half so you have 2 circles.
- Place one circle on a serving plate.
- Spread about half the cream on the cake.
- Top with cherry chia jam.
- Place the other cake half on top.
- Spread the rest of the cream on top.
- Top with the extra cherries.
- Optional: dust with some icing sugar/stevia.
I love reading your comments!
- What is your favourite cake?
- Did you watch my video ^^ ? What did you think?
- Do you also have to have cake for your birthdays too? (I think I was deprived of cake once I became a vegan when I was 12, so I always want to make sure my children don’t experience that same deprivation…haha).
P.S. Have you liked Vie De La Vegan on Facebook yet?