Today is Australia Day, which to me means a day to eat Aussie food. Pies (check out these No Meat Pies by Chunky On Chia!), pavlova, ANZAC biscuits and lamingtons are a few Aussie foods that come to mind, and this year I thought I’d share a recipe for raw lamington balls.
Raw lamington balls
Traditionally, lamingtons are squares of sponge cake coated in chocolate and dessicated coconut. Sometimes there’s two layers of sponge stuck together with jam, although in my limited experience of traditional lamington eating, I never came across the jam filled lamingtons personally (I actually haven’t had a lamington for probably 15 years!). I did consider making a raw vegan version of the jam filled lamingtons but I had no berries to make any jam…maybe next year ;)
Instead of making a vegan sponge cake to make lamingtons, I decided to make a raw version with coconut flour and cashews. The coconut flour makes these balls a bit lighter than my usual raw balls/squares/slice.
In other news, we’ve finally decided we are going to travel around Australia this year. We are *hopefully* picking up an old caravan later this week, and we’ll spend the next few months doing it up before we set out on our big trip in April. The whole family is excited for this big adventure, and I’ll keep you guys updated!
Now for the recipe for these raw lamington balls >>>
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dates
- 1 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tbs rice malt syrup OR maple syrup OR date paste
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the cashews and coconut flour until the cashews form a flour.
- Add the vanilla and dates and blend until well combined.
- Form balls with the mixture (if it's too crumbly add a little water).
- Place in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate (chilling the balls will help the chocolate set faster).
- To make the chocolate, combine the cacao powder, rice malt syrup and coconut oil in a small bowl. If the room temperature is cold, sit the small bowl in a larger bowl of hot water to help liquefy the oil & syrup.
- Spread the finely shredded coconut on a plate.
- Remove the balls from the freezer and one at a time, dip into the chocolate, let the excess drip off, then roll in the coconut - use a fork to help the dipping & rolling processes.
- Set aside on a sheet of baking paper and repeat with the remaining balls.
- Place the balls in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate sets, then eat!
- Keep chilled.
I always love reading your comments! What do you think?
- What foods mean “Australia” to you?
- Do you prefer lamingtons with or without the jam in the middle?
- Has anyone else done a huge road trip (around Australia/the US/Europe/anywhere else)? Do you have some travelling tips for me?