I have been thinking about black forest pancakes since this time last year, and finally got around to making them after I bought a punnet of cherries this week. Oh my goodness. These pancakes were soooooo good. Especially layered with a thickened coconut cream. Oh my.
Just look at those layers! And the cream! The generous layers of cream made these black forest pancakes moist – you know how sometimes a stack of pancakes can be quite dry? I love to layer mine with fruit, nicecream, syrup, or my latest love: thickened coconut cream.
Black forest pancakes
Chocolate and cherries.
Luscious thickened coconut cream.
And perfection with a cherry on top.
Also, if you have been following me on Instagram you’ll know that I’ve been working on my first ebook – Plant-Based Breakfasts For Kids: healthy vegan morning meals for fussy eaters and tiny tummies. I’m going to release it next week, so stay tuned for more details about it!
But in a nutshell: it’s a collection of nearly 30 tasty, EASY, kid-friendly, healthy vegan breakfast recipes. No refined ingredients, just wholefoods, based entirely on plants. I am super excited about showing you guys what I’ve been working on for the past few weeks! I hope this ebook will help other vegan families to make breakfast times a bit easier :)
But now, back to these Black Forest Pancakes. Here’s the recipe you’ve been patiently waiting for!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cherries, pitted
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp stevia
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 1½ cup rolled oats (use certified gluten free to make this recipe gluten free)
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp stevia
- 2 tbs arrowroot powder or cornflour (use arrowroot powder to make this recipe gluten free)
- Preheat a non-stick (I use cast-iron) frying pan over low-medium heat. Grease the frying pan a little if needed.
- Blend all pancake ingredients until smooth.
- Scoop 1-2 tbs of batter for each pancake and spread the pancake slightly with the back of a spoon, so it becomes a neat circle.
- Fry the pancakes for about 2-3 minutes, or until the top is partially cooked through.
- Flip the pancakes and fry on the other side for a further minute or two.
- Set aside while you make the cream.
- Stir all cream ingredients together in a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and remove from the heat when the mixture starts to bubble and thicken (should only take a few minutes).
- Layer the pancakes with the cream, ending with the cream.
- Garnish with more cherries, if desired.
Sharing these pancakes at Healthy Vegan Fridays.
More pancake recipes…
I’d love to hear your comments!
- Is it snowing in your part of the world yet?
- What special breakfast do you treat yourself to on weekends?
- What do you like to layer pancakes with?
Don’t forget to enter my worldwide giveaway for Plant Powered Families by Dreena Burton!