Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
25. Share your favourite cuisine.
Last week I shared what I would make if Barack Obama came over to sample my fine vegan food. I mentioned I would make nachos (as I discovered he is a big fan of Mexican foods) and for dessert, a strawberry nicecream topped with chocolate covered macadamias. And I promised I would share the recipe for the nachos at a later date. Well, here it is :)
Vegan nachos are my all-time favourite meal. I remember my mother making vegetarian nachos when I was a child – the base was from a can of refried beans, which she then topped with tomato salsa, mashed avocado and cheese. Over the years, I haven’t deviated too much from this original recipe, apart from using kidney beans instead of refried beans, homemade salsa, and of course, a vegan cheese.
My love of Mexican food originates with my mother’s nachos. In all honesty, I’ve probably never had a real, authentic Mexican dish…but I love my versions of Mexican dishes :D
For these “presidential” nachos, I went all out and made this colourful chilli with loads of variety – 3 beans, 3 colours of capsicum…it’s a bit fancy ;) but you can make it simpler by using 1 variety of beans and 1 coloured capsicum, if you don’t feel the need to make nachos fit for the president.
You can also make these vegan nachos your own way – I don’t know how other people make nachos, but I still like to top mine with a bit of avocado and vegan cheese (I usually make the cheese I used for these chilli cheese fries). You can add whatever toppings you like, though. And if anyone has a great suggestion for a healthy alternative to corn chips – PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 red cayenne chilli pepper
- ½ red capsicum
- ½ yellow capsicum
- ½ green capsicum
- 5 tomatoes
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 2 cups chopped ruby silverbeet
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- Corn chips
- Mashed avocado with lemon juice
- Cashew cheese
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Dice the onion, add it to the pan along with the spices.
- Stir and fry for a few minutes while you prepare the remaining vegetables.
- Finely dice the chilli, dice the capsicum and tomatoes, and add to the frying pan along with the corn.
- Cook for a further 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped silverbeet and chickpeas/beans, stir through and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and compile the nachos: add a large scoop of chilli to a plate, add chips around the edge of the chilli, top with mashed avocado and a drizzle of cashew cheese.
- Serve immediately, or warm in the oven or under the grill for a few minutes.
You may use regular silverbeet (or any other leafy green of your choice, like spinach or kale) instead of ruby silverbeet.
I used homecooked beans but you may use 1 x 400g can of each of chickpeas, white (cannellini) beans and kidney beans.
I’d love to know your thoughts on my vegan nachos :)
- What do you top your nachos with?
- What’s your favourite cuisine?
- Do you have a healthy alternative suggestion instead of corn chips for nachos?