Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
9. Most retro recipe.
I really struggled with this prompt to begin with. Like, what is a retro recipe? Luckily Google came to my aid, and I was afronted by an array of shocking seventies dishes. Prawn cocktails, duck liver pate, stuffed eggs…I was beginning to feel a bit sick. I couldn’t even imagine veganising something like that. So. Gross.
Then I came across a trifle recipe. I guess that passes as a retro recipe, hey?
Trifle is basically a dessert dish you throw together when you have some old cake that needs eating. Layer some cake, custard and fruit, and you have a tasty trifle!
But who has old cake lying around? Not me…so I made this awesome sugar- and gluten-free fudgy chocolate cake from Minimalist Baker. After I made the cake, my husband told me that trifles are normally made with sponge cake. Well, too bad. I’m making this trifle my way!
I’d never made a trifle recipe before, but I’d say this turned out pretty well. The raspberry vegan jelly soaked into the chocolate cake and gave it the most divine flavour. Combined with the creamy custard and fresh fruit, it was a really decadent vegan dessert.
- 1 small vegan chocolate cake
- Vegan raspberry jelly crystals to make 500ml jelly
- 2 tbs vegan custard powder
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup
- 2 cups oat milk (or other plant milk)
- Fresh fruit and/or edible flowers as desired
- Make your chocolate cake and let it cool right down.
- Slice the cake into 2cm thick slices, and line a large dessert bowl with the slices.
- Make the jelly as per directions, and pour the hot jelly mixture over the cake slices.
- Make the custard by mixing the custard powder, rice malt syrup and a few tablespoons of milk in a small saucepan.
- Put the sauce over a low heat, add the remaining milk, and stir constantly until the custard thickens (should only take a few minutes).
- Remove from the heat and pour over the jelly and cake.
- Top with fresh fruit and edible flowers.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
- VeganMoFoers – what was your retro recipe you made today?
- Have you ever made a trifle before?
- Are you weirded out by edible flowers?