Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
15. OMG, Barack Obama is coming over because he knows you make awesome vegan food! What are you going to make?
I pondered over this prompt for a long time. What is the best dish I could possibly make? What would be fit for a President? What the hell would I make…
Eventually I came to the conclusion that if Barack Obama DID come over for dinner, I would just get food catered, as I would be too nervous to cook anything well.
But thankfully I was not too nervous to prepare something tasty for this hypothetical situation. So I Googled “what does Barack Obama like to eat” to get some ideas of what the President actually likes eating. I discovered he likes Mexican food, and I discovered he likes snacking on chocolate covered macadamias. Well, that I could do!
Here’s what I prepared for our hypothetical Barack Obama situation:
- Main: Nachos with 3 bean chilli (I’ll post this recipe maybe next week)
- Dessert: Strawberry nicecream topped with chocolate covered macadamias
In reality I probably would have prepared an entree as well, and also a refreshing beverage, but this was just hypothetical…I think I did well to come up with a main course and a dessert!
So today I’m sharing with you the dessert I would make if Barack Obama happened to come stop by coz my vegan food rocks :D
Strawberry nicecream with chocolate macadamias
I made the chocolate covered macadamias by coating the macadamias in a raw chocolate and let them set in the fridge. I’d never had chocolate covered macadamias before but this will definitely be something I’m going to make again, we loved these crunchy chocolatey nuts!
And the strawberry nicecream was as easy as blending frozen strawberries and bananas until smooth and creamy. Easy and delicious.
- 1½ tbs cacao powder
- 1½ tbs rice malt syrup
- 1½ tbs coconut oil
- ½ cup macadamias
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 6 frozen bananas
- Put the macadamias in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate.
- Combine the cacao, syrup and oil in a small bowl.
- Melt the mixture over a hot water bath until the coconut oil is melted.
- Remove macadamias from freezer and drop them, one at a time, into the chocolate.
- Place the chocolate covered macadamias on a tray for the chocolate to set.
- Repeat the process to double-coat the macadamias.
- Keep the macadamias in the fridge until ready to use.
- Blend the frozen strawberries and bananas in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy (you might need to add a little liquid).
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the macadamias, and other toppings as desired.
I’d love to hear from you!
- What would YOU make for Barack Obama?
- Have you tried chocolate covered macadamias before? (If not – go make some right now!)
- What’s your favourite nicecream flavour?