Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
23. Autumn equinox eats.
Well, right now in the southern hemisphere it’s the spring equinox, so it would be more fitting to write about some spring equinox eats :D so today I’m bringing you this sweet spring tart, a strawberry galette.
I’ve fallen in love with making galettes this year. What’s a galette, I hear you asking? Basically, it’s a free-form tart. I love making rustic dishes like this…I hate making perfect pastries, I have no patience. That’s why I love galettes…it doesn’t matter if the pastry isn’t rolled out to a perfect circle, you don’t need to trim the edges. It’s perfect in it’s imperfectness :)
I made a buckwheat pastry for this galette because I was in the mood for something gluten-free. I use wheat flour too much, but it is much better for our bodies to use different grains (or pseudo-grains…did you know buckwheat is actually a seed?).
I then topped the pastry with a homemade refined-sugar-free (vegan) custard and finally fresh strawberries. It was really simple to put together – the hardest part was chopping the strawberries :D
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour
- ⅔ cup water
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 banana
- ½ tbs arrowroot flour
- 200g strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix together the pastry ingredients until a dough forms. You may need to add a little more water or flour, depending on the moisture content of your flour.
- Roll the dough out to about 3mm thin, and place on a baking tray.
- Make the custard by blending the custard ingredients until smooth, then heat in a saucepan, stirring constantly, over a medium heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat once the custard has thickened.
- Spread the custard evenly over the pastry, leaving an inch border around the edges.
- Chop the strawberries into halves or quarters as desired, and place the strawberries on top of the custard.
- Fold the pastry border over the edge of the strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and turning golden.
- Serve warm.
Sharing this galette at #freefromfridays and Healthy Vegan Fridays.
Comment below, I’d love to hear your thoughts!
- What’s your favourite gluten free flour to use?
- Are you doing anything special to celebrate the vernal/autumnal equinox?