Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
5. Best sandwich ever.
Sandwiches are a staple in our house, unfortunately. I hate bread. I mean, I love it. It’s so soft and fluffy and really hits the spot whether you need breakfast, lunch, dinner or something in between meals. But I hate bread…white bread in particular. It has little nutritional value (but yet it tastes sooo good!), yet we tend to use it to fill us up.
Don’t get me wrong though. Some wholesome, wholegrain, brown bread is a great addition to your daily meals (preferably rye…oh, how I love rye bread!).
But today’s sandwich doesn’t even contain bread. Say what? I can almost hear you thinking: how can you make a sandwich without bread? Let me enlighten you :)
It all started a few weeks ago when I decided to do a week long raw food cleanse. I made these fantastical raw mushroom burgers for dinner one night, and oh my goodness THEY WERE THE BOMB.
I’d never had raw mushroom burgers before, but I fell instantly in love. Here’s my version of raw mushroom burgers, adapted from This Rawsome Vegan Life.
- 8 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- ½ cup creamy cashew cheese
- 1 tomato
- 1 baby leek (or 1 spring onion)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Peel and destem the mushrooms.
- Rub the soy sauce over the mushrooms.
- Place in the dehydrator for 3 hours.
- Dice the tomato and finely slice the leek.
- Combine tomato and leek with parsley in a small.
- Remove mushrooms from dehydrator and spread cashew cheese on the underside of each mushroom.
- Add salad to 4 mushrooms, and top with the remaining mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.