Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
30. Fusion Challenge!
For my fusion challenge, I decided to make things easy and simply combine two of my favourite cuisines: Italian and Mexican. My favourite Italian dish? Pizza, of course. And my favourite Mexican dish? Nachos <3
So I combined them. Well, I made a Mexican pizza…with ingredients inspired by what I would normally use for nachos. Two of my favourite meals in one? YES PLEASE!
Homemade pizza crust, topped with mashed avocado, capsicum, onion, olives, tomato, kidney beans, chilli, and a hot chilli cheezy sauce. This pizza nearly burnt my mouth off, I’m not used to eating so much chilli! But I enjoyed every single bite :D
I totally slacked off a bit for the last week of MoFo…I have been feeling emotionally/mentally/physically drained, and have finally succumbed to a cold (despite fighting it off all winter!). Sometimes you just need to take some time off and look after YOU. But with that said, I hope this last VeganMoFo post makes up for the lack of posts these past few days :D
And on that note – I just want to say THANK YOU to the organisers of VeganMoFo, and to all the new blogger friends I’ve “met” this month <3 September has been an amazing month!
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 avocado
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ½ mild red chilli
- ½ tomato
- ¼ red capsicum
- ¼ cup cooked kidney beans
- ¼ small onion
- 4 kalamata olives
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours*
- 1 cup water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ mild red chilli**
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix together the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the water, combine until a smooth dough forms (you may need to add a little more water/flour to get the right consistency - it shouldn't be sticky).
- Knead the dough for a minute or 2, and roll onto a pizza tray.
- Mash the avocado with the lemon juice and spread that onto the base.
- Finely dice the remaining toppings and distribute evenly over the pizza.
- Blend all the cheese sauce ingredients in a high speed blender for 1 minute or until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the cheese over the pizza, as desired (this recipe with make more cheese than required for one pizza, you can store it in the fridge to use for other dishes).
- Bake the pizza for 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and devour.
**Adjust the type/amount of chilli used as desired...
I’d love to know your thoughts about my Mexican pizza!
- What are your favourite cuisines?
- What are your favourite pizza toppings?
- What do you love most about VeganMoFo?