French onion soup with VEGAN cheese toasts. Yes, it’s vegan!
Today’s VeganMoFo prompt is:
14. Share something vegan (and delicious, duh!) with a non-vegan.
French onion soup is a classic. It’s also one of my husband’s favourite soups.
I decided to make this as my “dish to share with a non-vegan” for today’s MoFo prompt, as my husband is not a vegan. He eats whatever I make though, so really he is a vegan about 90% of the time ;) but for some meals he likes to take his bowl back to the kitchen, and subtly return with cheese :(
French onion soup with vegan cheese toasts
This is one of those dishes that he likes to add cheese to. Usually I’ll serve French onion soup with some sort of bread, usually homemade garlic bread. Of course, my husband will sneak off and add some cheese to his ration of garlic bread. Well, not this time!
I decided to beat my husband to the cheesy bread. I made these awesome vegan cheese toasts to go with our French onion soup. Oh. My. God. That cheese!
I adapted the recipe I found at It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken. I don’t know why I have made it sooner. It is the gooey-est cheese I have ever made! Like, you know sometimes vegan cheeses just don’t have that same meltable, gooey, stringiness that real cheese does? This vegan cheese comes sooo close!
And what did my husband think? He devoured his share of cheese toasts and agreed this was the best vegan cheese he’d ever had (and believe me, he’s tried a good deal of vegan cheeses over the past 8 years…). Success :D
- 4 brown onions
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1L vegetable stock
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbs blackstrap molasses
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 1 cup water
- 2½ tbs tapioca flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 8 slices of crusty baguette
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Heat the oil over a low heat in a saucepan, add the onions.
- Fry gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until caramelised.
- Add the remaining ingredients, turn up the heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and serve with cheese toasts.
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender except for the baguette.
- When smooth, transfer to a small saucepan.
- Heat over a medium heat, constantly stirring, until it begins to thicken. This will take only a few minutes.
- When the cheese is thick like melted cheese, remove from the heat.
- Preheat the grill.
- Spread the cheese over the baguette slices and place on a baking tray.
- Grill for a few minutes, until the cheese starts to brown.
- Serve with the soup immediately.
Comment below and tell me…
- Is your partner a vegan/non-vegan?
- What is your favourite soup?
- VeganMoFoers: what did you make for today’s prompt? Link me to your latest post :D