It all started with this apple slice from A Free From Life. I’m pretty much incapable of following recipes, so I tweaked it the first time I made it (wholemeal wheat flour, no sugar, more sultanas, less oil). It was soooo good I had to make it again. And again. The whole family loved it!
Then I decided to change it further by changing the slice into biscuits. It has been a while since I made biscuits, so I thought it would be a nice (healthy) treat for the kids :) and by “the kids”, I mean us big kids too.
The original recipe was free from many common allergens such as dairy, eggs, gluten and nuts, but as we don’t mind a bit of gluten or nuts, I added these into the recipe. But you could easily substitute the wholemeal flour for a gluten free flour blend, and you could just omit the nuts, if these things don’t go well with you.
I also didn’t think it needed any sweetener. As you may have noticed, I haven’t been using sugar in my recipes for a while now. Since going sugar-free, I’ve found my tolerance for sugar has also dropped. So while my family and I love these sugar-free biscuits, you personally might want to add a bit of sweetener (maple syrup would be nice). I do find the apples and sultanas make it sweet enough though :)
Also, I just wanted to let you know I’m taking a quick break from everything for the next week. I’m doing a bit of a raw food cleanse and thought it would be a great opportunity to cleanse my mind as well, so I’ll be offline for most of the next 7 days. Well, that’s the plan anyway. I’m horribly addicted to the internet…let’s see how long I can stay away for ;)
Until then, here’s the recipe for the sugar free apple biscuits. Enjoy :)
- 3 small green apples
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp allspice powder
- ½ cup water (or non-dairy milk)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sultanas
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Core the apples and blend in a food processor (or pulse in a high speed blender) until finely chopped.
- Add apples to a mixing bowl with the flour, bicarb, cinnamon and allspice. Stir to combine.
- Mix the water and coconut oil together briefly, then add to the apple mix and combine well.
- Fold in the walnuts and sultanas.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture onto a baking tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Let cool. Store in an airtight container.
Are you following Vie De La Vegan on Bloglovin‘ yet? It’s a great way to stay up to date with our latest blog posts :)