As I write this post, it is beginning to feel like spring here. We have had lots of rain over the past 24 hours, and I can hear the frogs croaking outside. The temperatures have been quite warm overnight (I haven’t needed to turn my electric blanket on, or the heater either!). Farewell winter! (Although I’m sure we’ll have another cold snap, or two, before summer. It would not surprise me if there is another snow fall in the area within the next few months…)
One thing I love about the warmer weather is that it puts me in the mood to eat more raw food. Each winter I feel guilty for eating so much comfort food. Mashed potatoes, pasta, breads…you get the idea. Naturally, I should listen to my body’s cravings and eat accordingly. But still, in the back of my head, I’m thinking, “I haven’t eaten a salad for weeks, how can this be healthy…”. I just like eating warming foods when it’s cold!
But on the other hand, cold foods are quite pleasant to eat during the warmer months. Endless amounts of nice cream. Fresh, crisp green salads. Icy cold green smoothies. And frozen raw desserts, like this raw carrot cake.
A crunchy pecan topping. Creamy cashew frosting. Sweetly spiced carrot raw cake goodness. It takes just a few minutes of blending to prepare, followed by a few hours of freezing, and you have the tastiest raw cake ever!
Raw cakes are my favourite. Who wants a cake laden with flour and sugar, when you can have a guilt-free raw cake bursting with fresh ingredients? This raw carrot cake is naturally gluten free, refined sugar free, and of course, vegan. It also definitely counts towards your daily 5 serves of vegetables ;)
In other news – VeganMoFo (aka Vegan Month of Food) begins on 1st September! I have never participated before, but I have signed up this year, and I’m soooo excited! I aim to blog every day in September sharing some awesome vegan eats and other tidbits. If you are a blogger, it would be fun if you could join in too. Sign up is open until 28th August 2015.
Here’s the raw cake recipe:
- 4 medium carrots
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1¼ cups cashews, soaked overnight
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Blend the carrots in a high speed blender until well chopped.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, pecans and sultanas and blend until smooth.
- Scoop into a freezer safe dish, and freeze while you prepared the icing.
- Blend the cashews, orange juice and dates until smooth and creamy.
- Smooth the icing over the top of the carrot cake.
- Add the remaining chopped pecans on top of the icing, pressing them down gently.
- Return to the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Keep frozen, and defrost for 10 minutes before serving.
- What is your favourite flavour of raw cake?
- Are you participating in VeganMoFo this year?
- What’s the weather like in your part of the world?