Shepherd’s pie is one of my family’s favourite comfort foods. A hearty lentil base topped with smooth mashed potato…mmm.
Recently I changed things up though. I found Deborah’s recipe for vegetarian shepherd’s pie and she included a layer of peas and corn between the “meaty” base and mashed potato topping. Then I started thing about minty peas…you know, peas cooked in a sugary minty syrup. And I thought, how nice would that be in shepherd’s pie?
So I made a lentil stew base, topped with frozen peas, chopped mint leaves, and then mashed potato on top.
Oh! This was so delicious. I must confess I ate more than a few servings…
If you like shepherd’s pie, you will LOVE this variation. The mint gives the dish a whole new level. It is mouthwatering and more-ish.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 potatoes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- Finely dice the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Heat the 1 tbs olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the diced vegetables and fry for 5 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- Add lentils, thyme, tomato puree and vegetable stock.
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and dice potatoes and boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain, reserving approximately ½ cup cooking water.
- Mash with the remaining 1 tbs olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large casserole dish, pour the lentil stew, top with frozen peas, chopped mint leaves, and mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Sharing this vegan shepherd’s pie at Gluten Free Wednesday, Fat Tuesday, What’d You Do This Weekend, #recipeoftheweek, Corn-free Everyday, Savoring Saturdays, Flashback Friday, Gluten Free Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Real Food Friday, Plant-based Potluck, Meatless Monday, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck, Merry Monday, Tasty Tuesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday.