Happy Pi Day for yesterday! As if I need an excuse to make a pie though…but with this super healthy sugar-free pie recipe, I should have made 3.14 pies. Seriously.
I have totally jumped on the sugar-free bandwagon this week. I always thought that because I was using raw, organic cane sugar that I was making healthier choices for my family. But then I realised, despite being RAW and ORGANIC, it was still SUGAR.
Sugar is high in fructose. Your liver metabolises fructose, but it wasn’t designed to metabolise huge amounts (naturally, the only fructose we should be consuming is from ripe fruit). So consuming lots of sugar can overload your liver and is also linked to diseases like heart disease, diabetes type 2, and even cancer. Read more about the dangers of sugar here.
Even sweeteners like agave, coconut sugar and honey (for you “bee-gans” or non-vegans) are high in fructose, and thus not as healthy as they are often thought to be.
So I’ve been using brown rice malt syrup instead. That’s what I used to sweeten this apple pie too. But as I’m writing out this post, I’ve been researching too, and apparently brown rice malt syrup is not all that great either. While it is not high in fructose, it is 100% glucose so it will lead to a spike in your blood sugar levels, and it has little nutrients. Basically, it’s just as bad as sugar!
So all my efforts to make a healthy, sugar free apple pie kind of failed…insert sad face here.
Now I’m not saying we need to go throw out all those expensive containers of “healthy” sugar alternatives that I’m sure you have stockpiled in your pantry. Moderation is the key…a little bit here and there will not lead to harm. Just don’t go overboard with sweets, is all!
So here is my recipe for sugar free apple pie…enjoy this in moderation :)
- 4 organic red Fuji apples
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown rice malt syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 5 whole cloves
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp rice malt syrup
- Core and dice the apples.
- Add to a medium sized saucepan along with water, syrup, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 25 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile make the pastry by combining the remaining ingredients (flour, oil, milk & syrup).
- Separate one third of the dough to set aside.
- Roll the remaining dough to line a prepared medium-sized pie dish.
- Fill the dish with the cooked apples.
- Roll the remaining dough and cut into strips.
- Arrange dough strips in a lattice pattern across the top of the apples.
- Decorate with dough trimmings if you have any leftover.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Bringing this pie to Real Food Recipe Roundup, Healthy Vegan Fridays, #FreeFromFridays, Real Food Fridays, Plant Based Potluck, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck, Healthy Happy Green & Natural Blog Hop, Try A New Recipe Tuesday, Lena’s Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, What’d You Do This Weekend, Meatless Monday, #recipeoftheweek & Corn-Free Everyday Linkup.
I’d love to hear your comments!
- What is your sweetener of choice?
- Did you make a pie for Pi Day? (link me to your recipe if you blogged about it!)