I have been dreaming of making raw vegan chocolate bounty bars forever. Bounty bars were my favourite chocolate bar as a child, but it has been years since I’ve indulged in one. Until now…
Nothing compares to Bounty Bars…sweet coconut filling encased in chocolate…mmm. Not Mars Bars. Or Snickers. Or Cherry Ripe. Nope. Bounty has always been the winner for me. You know those “Favourites” boxes? Full of mini chocolate bars? I would always save all the Bounty bars until last…saving the best until last.
As a strict vegan, I don’t even look longingly at the chocolate aisle anymore. Really, who wants to eat something made from the milk from a cow? Don’t get me wrong, I love animals. I just don’t want to consume something that was intended for calves.
But now that I have finally created my own healthy version, I can eat them all I like! Until I run out of coconut, that is. I have eaten nearly a whole batch of this recipe today, in fact. I needed it. Yes, it’s been one of those days…my 2 year old is sick. And whingey. And clingy. And I’m exhausted. So when I get a moment to myself, I sneak out to the kitchen and gobble one up. Sneaky ;)
- COCONUT FILLING
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 medjool dates
- CHOCOLATE COATING
- 25g cacao butter
- 4 medjool dates
- ⅛ cup water
- ⅛ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- Make the coconut filling by blending the coconut, coconut oil and dates in a food processor until dates are well chopped. The coconut should still be chunky.
- Line a small dish (about 10cm by 20cm) with baking powder.
- Press the coconut mixture into the lined dish.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate coating by melting the cacao butter in a small bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Add the melted cacao butter to the food processor along with the dates, water, coconut oil and cacao powder.
- Blend until smooth.
- Remove the coconut mixture from the freezer and slice into finger sized bars.
- Roll the bars in the chocolate using a fork.
- Sit the bars on a sheet of baking paper on a tray.
- When all bars are coated with chocolate, put the tray in the freezer for 30 minutes, or fridge for an hour.
- Serve cold, and store bars in either the fridge or freezer.
UPDATE: I’ve just released a FREE MINI EBOOK with mouthwatering vegan chocolate recipes! Sign up to our newsletter to get the ebook instantly <3
Bringing these chocolate bars to the party at Gluten-Free Wednesdays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, What’d You Do This Weekend, Meatless Monday, Merry Monday, #recipeoftheweek, Real Food Recipe Roundup, Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck, Gluten Free Fridays, Real Food Fridays, #FreeFromFridays, Plant Based Potluck.
Comment and tell me:
- What is/was your favourite chocolate bar?
- Do you like to have a stash of chocolate for emergencies?