So it might sound a little crazy. Pizza pancakes…really? Really. I made it happen. I combined two of my favourite meals and this was the tasty result. It’s all about the taste. The combination of oregano and tomatoes gives a “fresh from the pizza store” smell. The taste is like biting into pizza (minus the greasy cheese…). But it looks just like a stack of pancakes.
You see, I love pancakes. I am highly influenced by what I see on social media, and I am surrounded by sweet, healthy vegan foods. Pancakes, bliss balls, raw cheesecakes, smoothie bowls…all full of fruit and nuts. BUT WHERE ARE THE VEGETABLES? And I’m not just talking about that handful of spinach you squeezed into your smoothie.
I’m talking about savoury breakfasts. I do love fruit but 9 times out of 10 I opt for savoury dishes. Breakfast time: should I have pancakes with berries or fried mushrooms and mustard on toast? Mushrooms please! Or in this case, savory pancakes. Am I the only one who eats savory breakfasts most days? If what I see on Instagram is any indication of real life, I do feel quite alone in my breakfast choices…
- ½ cup besan (chickpea) flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- ⅔ cup tomato puree (passata)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- SUNFLOWER CHEESE SAUCE
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- SUGGESTED TOPPINGS (optional)
- Kalamata olives
- Cherry tomatoes
- Spring onions
- Combine all pancake ingredients (chickpea flour to tomato puree) and mix really well until no lumps left.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over low-med heat.
- Drop spoonfuls of the pancake mix into the frying pan and spread evenly with the back of the spoon.
- After about 3 minutes, flip and fry on the other side for a further 3 minutes.
- Repeat until all pancake mix has been used.
- Meanwhile, blend together all ingredients for sunflower cheese sauce.
- Chop your desired vegetable toppings.
- Top the pancakes with the cheese sauce and toppings.
I’m bringing these vegan pancakes to Meatless Monday, Savoring Saturdays, Flashback Friday, Gluten Free Friday, Healthy Vegan Friday, Real Food Friday, Plant-based Potluck, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck.
I love hearing from my readers! Tell me:
- Do you prefer sweet or savoury breakfasts?
- Have you ever combined two of your favourite meals? (Leave a link to relevant blog post to share the recipe if you like!)