Pear & chai vegan spelt muffins <3
Summer is ending here and as we come into autumn, we say goodbye to tropical fruits, tomatoes, and the sun. Already the sun is setting a whole hour earlier than during summer, and in 2 short weeks daylight savings time will end, and the sun will be setting at 6pm. Oh, I will miss the sun!
But autumn brings a cool change – I will actually be able to go outside during the day and not break a sweat instantly. And of course, seasonal fruit and vegetables – pumpkins, snow peas, figs, persimmons, and pears…I’m so ready for you! I stocked up on pears on my last grocery shop to at the local organic market…so cheap and juicy.
I also enjoying drinking tea during the cooler months. Usually herbal, but I also love rooibos and chai teas, and the occasional earl grey too. But there is something special about the mixture of spices that create that “chai” flavour. So aromatic and warming…
Pear & chai spelt muffins
So today I’m sharing this recipe that combines 2 of my favourite flavours for the cooler months – pear and chai combine to create these aromatic spelt muffins. Oh yum, these muffins were divine! I used stevia so these muffins are refined sugar-free. However, I’m not too happy with using stevia from the stores…something about those white sweet crystals just looks artificial! I’m hoping to buy a stevia plant this week and use the leaves to create a natural, homemade sweetener. I read a tip about adding a leaf or two to your tea brew as a natural sweetener – cannot wait to try that!
Bringing these spelt muffins to Healthy Vegan Fridays, Real Food Fridays, #freefromfriday, Full Plate Thursday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Lena’s Tasty Tuesday, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck, Healthy Happy Green & Natural Blog Hop, Try A New Recipe Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, The New Mrs Adventures Tasty Tuesday.
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbs baking powder
- ¼ cup Natvia stevia granules
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup pear puree
- ¾ cup rice milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 pear
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl (spices, baking powder, stevia & spelt flour).
- Combine wet ingredients in a smaller bowl (vanilla, pear puree, rice milk and coconut oil).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Scoop the batter into prepared muffin trays.
- Cut thin slices of the pear and place a slice on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool then serve.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Are you following Vie De La Vegan on Instagram yet? Check us out here to see what I’m cooking and eating :)
I’d love to hear from you!
- What are your favourite things about autumn?
- Do you love/hate daylight savings time?
- What is your favourite tea?
- How do you feel about stevia?