Do your kids like broccoli? My kids aren’t huge fans, but they will eat it occasionally. When I made this pasta dish with lemony broccoli, both my 2 year old and 6 year old DEVOURED all the broccoli in their bowls. Mr 6 even asked for more!
Despite eating vegan meals full of vegetables most of the time, my kids aren’t huge fan of vegetables. So when I find a way to prepare vegetables that they actually eat, I make it again and again and again. And when I served up this dish and called it “mac and cheese”, they were into it instantly ;) so this has been on the menu a few times this past week. I’ve varied by substituting the broccoli for brussels sprouts but that wasn’t as successful with the kids though…oh well. More for me :D
On another note, I want to share a funny, unrelated story. I have some cats. Seven, as of today, actually. A stray cat appeared this morning and has been hanging all day. The poor little thing is so skinny… But no, that’s not the funny story.
This story is about my kitten, Leif.
Leif was actually born in a tree. Well, I don’t know that for sure, but I found Leif (with his siblings and mother) in a hollowed out branch when he was 2 days old. But it makes a good story! Anyway, I SWEAR Leif was a boy. I’ve only ever had girl cats but Leif, and his identical twin…I was certain they were boys.
So I took Leif to the vet today to get castrated. And guess what…he’s actually a she! I laughed about it all day. Seriously. For nearly 5 months I thought this cat was a boy! The vet would have been laughing too – they managed to get another $100 out of me…
Anyway back to the creamy vegan pasta recipe. The lemon gives the broccoli a really nice tang. I believe that is the secret to getting my kids to eat broccoli – disguising that cruciferous flavour! It kind of makes this recipe an adult version of mac and cheese. And the main thing I love about this recipe is that it is quick to make! As much as I love cooking and being in the kitchen, some days you just want to get in and get out, you know?
- 250g pasta
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbs spelt flour
- 1 cup oat milk
- Pinch of salt
- Start cooking your pasta according the package directions.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and broccoli.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to turn golden.
- Juice the lemon and stir in the juice for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the spelt flour until the vegetables are coated.
- Pour in the milk and stir, continue to cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked & drained pasta.
- Serve immediately.
Sharing this vegan pasta dish at #recipeoftheweek, #FreeFromFridays, Plant Based Potluck, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck.
I’d love to hear from you! Comment and tell me:
- Do you have pets? Are you a cat or dog person? Does anyone have more than 7 cats?
- How do you get your kids to eat more vegetables?
- Are you a fan of broccoli? I could seriously eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner…love it!