Hemp seeds are an amazing product. They are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids (something which all vegans and non-vegans alike need to be aware that they are getting enough of), omega-6 fatty acids, protein, fiber, and vitamin E, just to name a few.
Interestingly, hemp can only be illegally consumed by humans in Australia and New Zealand. I will admit, I confess guilty to this crime of eating hemp products in Australia. Why would something so good for you (and legalised in EVERY other country) be illegal to consume? Hemp seeds contain no psycho-active properties (meaning: they won’t get you high like their illegal counterparts).
I made these hemp protein bites originally as energy snacks to eat while I was in labour. They also made great post-partum nibbles. But you don’t need to be giving birth to enjoy these delicious healthy snacks! My children and husband enjoyed these too :)
Hemp protein powder is perhaps my favourite protein powder. Apart from these protein bites, I use it in smoothies, stirred into cooked oatmeal, and added to baked goods like breads and muffins. I love it because not only do I get a boost of protein, but also get a good intake of omega-3‘s.
I get my hemp products from Hemp Foods Australia. Their high-quality hemp protein powder is made without heat or chemicals, and supports sustainable farming in Australia.
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp hemp protein powder
- ¼ cup pepita butter (or your preferred nut/seed butter)
- Add the nuts to your food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Remove the pits from the dates and add to the food procressor, along with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until it comes together in a dough.
- Press into a pan lined with baking paper and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove and slice into squares.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe is being shared at Merry Monday, What’d You Do This Weekend, Healthy Happy Green & Natural Blog Hop, Try A New Recipe Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Corn-Free Everyday Linkup, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck, Real Food Wednesdays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday and Meatless Monday.
- What is your protein powder of choice? Hemp, rice, other?
- What do you love to snack on for an energy burst?
- Confession time: have you recently done anything illegal (like eating hemp products in Australia :\ )?