I love baking for my family – vegan cookies are often quite expensive so I bake my own each week to save on grocery bills. A bag of flour and a bag of sugar can make hundreds of cookies for the price of 1 packet of vegan cookies! Well…maybe not quite hundreds…
But lately I have been trying to make healthier options for my family. I can see how sugar affects us – after eating a sugar-filled cookie (or 3) I feel lethargic and don’t perform at my optimum. My kids get hyper and then cranky. I don’t want to deal with cranky kids when I’m feeling tired and cranky too!
So I made these healthy vegan chocolate chips cookies, totally free from sugar, oil and wheat. Just pure ingredients (with the exception of a little baking powder…I’m not actually sure how pure that is…).
These vegan choc chip cookies are sweetened with applesauce and a bit of rice malt syrup. Oh, and SURPRISE! They don’t actually contain chocolate chips! Instead I used sultanas and cacao nibs.
These cookies are moist and chewy, and not overly sweet. Don’t you hate that when you make cookies and the sugar makes your teeth ache? Maybe I just have sensitive teeth… But if you do like your cookies to be really sweet, feel free to add more rice malt syrup to this recipe!
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- ¼ cup sultanas
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cacao nibs and sultanas.
- In a small jug combine the remaining wet ingredients, then pour into the bowl to combine with the dry ingredients.
- Mix well - the batter will be wet and sticky.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a baking sheet - use the spoon to shape and flatten the cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Let cool, and store in an airtight container.
I’m bringing these cookies to Plant-based Potluck, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Healthy Happy Green & Natural Blog Hop, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck.
Now it’s your turn. Tell me:
- What are your thoughts on sugar? Is sugar the devil?
- What foods do you avoid – are you gluten-free, vegan, quitting sugar, etc…?
- Do you pig out on unhealthy foods with your kids too? It’s hard to resist sometimes…