Vegan chickpea nuggets, full of protein with none of the cruelty! A family favourite finger food.
Nuggets were perhaps the main source of meat I ate as a child. When I decided to take the path of vegetarianism from the young age of 8, I did occasionally miss chicken nuggets. Watching my sister eat nuggets for dinner. Watching my friends eat nuggets for school lunches. But then I remembered where those chicken nuggets came from, and I happily continued eating my veggies.
Now that I have children of my own, I enjoy veganising (or attempting to veganise) my favourite meals from my childhood. Although sometimes I do think I enjoy my creations more than my children…but these vegan chicken nuggets were thoroughly enjoyed by us all. It does help that my toddler is enthusiastic about chickpeas!
We have eaten these as a side dish with chips and sauce and also in wraps with salad, and they are delicious both ways. They may not resemble the texture of traditional chicken nuggets, but by using a vegan chicken-style stock powder I think the taste is pretty close. (Note: it has been over 15 years since I have had chicken nuggets so I’m probably not a good judge to compare the tastes!).
The recipe is fairly easy too. After the success of my easy vegan sausages, I thought, couldn’t I use the same idea to make “chicken” style nuggets? I gave it a try and the result was a huge success! Blend up some beans (or in this case, chickpeas) with a bit of liquid and potato flour – too easy. I then made a crumb coating from oats and sunflower seeds. These nuggets are then baked in the oven for 30 minutes.
EDIT: you can use other flours instead of potato flour! I did find potato flour gave a great consistency. However it doesn’t seem to be easily accessible, so I’ve played around with this recipe for you. I like using rolled oats (or oat flour, if not using a high-speed blender) as a substitute.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp vegan chicken-style stock powder
- ¼ cup potato flour OR rolled oats
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup rice milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In your food processor or high-speed blender, blend the chickpeas, soy sauce, olive oil, stock powder and potato flour/rolled oats until smoothly pureed.
- Remove from the food processor and blend the rolled oats and sunflower seeds until coarsely ground.
- Form the chickpea mix into nugget-sized pieces, dip into the rice milk, then coat in the oat/seed mix and place on a baking tray.
- Repeat until you have none left.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm from the oven.
What do you think?
- What meat did you have trouble giving up when you decided to become vegetarian?
- Do your vegan kids enjoy vegan faux-meats?
Comment below and tell me – I love to hear from my readers!