You know how some meals bring back memories? Yeah, that happens to me too. Like when I made this potato salad recently. I remember the very first time I made it…
I was about 7 years old, and my mum’s boss was looking after me and my sister for the afternoon. We were at her house and she had a kid’s cooking recipe book, featuring the original version of this potato salad. We went out to her garden where we picked fresh parsley – I remember screwing my face up and my sister said “Yuck!” as my mum’s boss ate some parsley right there in the garden!
But then when we went back inside and proceeded to chop the parsley finely and complete the rest of the salad, with soft potatoes and sweet corn kernels and a French salad dressing, it turned out that parsley wasn’t so bad after all! The smell of fresh parsley always transports me back to this memory…this delicious potato salad.
From that day I have always loved parsley. I remember claiming the parsley garnish from other family member’s plates when we went to restaurants. And being disappointed if that restaurant didn’t garnish their meals with parsley!
Parsley is in fact a nutritious little herb. Packed with vitamins A, E and K, and high in folate, iron and copper, just to name a few. It adds a lot of nutrition to meals with those little sprigs of garnish! Seeing as this salad has quite a bit of parsley, you can be sure this potato salad will help you nourish your body.
- 6 potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup parsley
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ⅓ cup Italian white wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into inch-sized chunks.
- Add the to potatoes and corn to the boiling water.
- Boil for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Drain the potatoes and corn and place in a salad bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley, add to salad bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a cup to make a dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes, corn and parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve chilled.
This recipe has been shared with the Healthy Happy Green & Natural Party Blog Hop, Virtual Vegan Linky Potluck and Real Food Wednesday.
- Do you love parsley?
- What foods take you on a trip down memory lane?
- Do you have an embarrassing story about parsley getting stuck in your teeth?