I love baking. I usually whip up a cake of some sort at least once a week, just to snack on or to eat for dessert. All that sugar and white flour probably aren’t the most nourishing things to be putting into my body, but hey – we can’t be perfect all the time!
So when I do bake cakes (or muffins, or biscuits) I often include fruit, vegetables, nuts or seeds so they contain some extra nutrition. It makes me feel a bit less guilty when I’m eating my
second third slice of cake ;)
This spiced carrot cake contains carrots, prunes, walnuts, and is made with wholemeal flour. You can’t feel too bad about eating a cake packed with those ingredients!
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp No Egg egg replacement
- ½ cup + 3 tbsp water
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup prunes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, bicarb, sugar, spices and No Egg.
- Combine the water and oil in a separate jug and pour into the dry mixture.
- Stir well to combine, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Grate the carrots, chop the walnuts finely and deseed and chop the prunes.
- Add carrots, walnuts and prunes to cake mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Pour into a greased cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.